Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tell Me Something Tuesday #27


It is that time of week again! You guessed it -Tell Me Something Tuesday; a weekly meme hosted by the fabulous author of the Heven and Hell series, Cambria Hebert. If you would like to participate, visit her blog and grab next week's question and add your link. This week's question:

Do you buy books based on the book cover?

I am a self-confessed book cover whore! I really like the trend lately of having enigmatic and dazzling covers. Just look at our host's cover of Masquerade. Gorgeous! ----------->
I will not go as far as to say that I buy them based on their cover though. What happens is that I see eye candy covers and am drawn to the book. I will then pick it up or click on it and find out what is inside. What matters the most is what the book is about. Will I like the story, the characters, and the genre? If I am bored by the description I will probably be bored by the book - no matter how pretty the cover. However, there are a few books that have made it into my clutches that I just had to have because the cover is awesome.

Most notably is Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel. I had no idea what this book was about, but it had a girl with a Parasol! It turned out to be a fantastic book and I have the second book's galley all ready to read. Score! On the other hand, I have been burned by lusting over the cover. And then there are the books that have lackluster covers but have the most amazing story inside. I think books such as these make me look and realize that I have broken one of the very basic rules: "Do Not Judge a Book by the Cover!" All that being said, a cover is important because it is the first thing readers see when they look at a book and it should be eye-catching. I even review the cover of a book as part of my reviews because I know that it is a part of the overall package. And being part of the whole package the cover should reflect something from the book and I have issues when it doesn't. So now that I am done rambling off on a tangent, I will again say covers are important, but if a book is good, the cover is just a pretty picture.

What do think? Do you buy books based on the cover?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Krista,
    I will hold my hands up, I have bought books on impulse; but generally, I am attracted to a cover and then I read the blurb. If I still can't make up my mind I might read the opening paragraph... It depends on how much time I have in the store! Sometimes I will just buy a book purley bcause I enjoy an authors writing and go into their next novel 'blind' as it were.

    I've got better at researching/selecting books on content since becoming a blogger and stumbling on some aewsome book blogger pages.
    :-)

    I enjoyed reading your answer to this weeks TMST; I'm off to research Dearly Departed...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you awesome! THank you for mentioning Masquerade. I happen to like that cover a lot. LOL!!
    I have actually seen Dearly Departed around and haven't read it yet but it looks fabulous and I do like that cover.
    I will have to pick it up and give it a try.
    I also agree that the cover should reflect something from the actual book because it seems silly or out of place to have nothing to do with the story. Great post this week! THanks for joining in TMST! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...