Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Angel Unraveled

Angel Unraveled
The Watcher Series, #1
by Tamela Buhrke
Published by: Wicked Women Publishing
Publication Date: July 12, 2011
Formats Available: eBook

Synopsis:

Psychic Andi Andreas is sick of seeing ghosts and reading futures. So when a sexy reporter named Tucker Calhoun falls, battered and bloodied, into her arms, Andi jumps at the chance to use her talents for more than just tarot cards. She and Tucker investigate a gang selling a new kind of drug. But her thrill turns to panic when they discover this drug temporarily turns users into vampires.
Worse, a sassy she-demon is threatening to unleash the drug as a virus—contaminating the world and converting the human race into monsters. As Andi struggles to stop the demon, she unlocks a secret from her past and awakens new abilities. But will Andi's new powers be enough to save the world?

 -from Goodreads


Cover: While not completely eye-grabbing, in retrospect the cover is great for this book. I can just imagine Andi making the face we see on the cover and it makes me laugh.

My Thoughts:
Andi Andreas is a Chicago transplant and psychic/medium newbie. She only learned of her talent after getting into a car accident four years ago that consequently killed her father. She was taken under the wing of Ethel, a veteran psychic living in Phoenix, Arizona. But now Ethel has retired and moved to Boca and Andi is struggling to pay the bills. And when Andi ‘reads’ a customer for Frank, the hot owner of a local coffee shop, all hell breaks loose and a whole new world is revealed. She thought being psychic was weird, but the vampires, demons, and angels teach her that what she thought she knew was just the tip of the iceberg.

Andi is not your average heroine; she barely can keep together her own little world. I think that is what made me like her even more. She is relatable and kind of a spaz. I can’t count the times I laughed out loud while reading her inner monologue. The things that happen to Andi are so extreme and outrageous that you would think it would become too much for the reader, but it doesn’t. The situations were displayed in a way that I could really picture happening and her reactions were real which means she didn’t pick up a sword and suddenly have all these abilities.

The characters that author Tamela Buhrke created were all interesting and dynamic, even the minor characters. My favorite character was by far Johnny, even though he never actually speaks. I could picture him dancing around Andi’s apartment in LARPing garb with his scabbard and eye patch. Of the three men that are a possible love interest to Andi I like Esteban the best. I imagined his accent to sound something like Antonio Banderas and his connection to Andi is something I can’t wait to see fleshed out. Macy was annoying and whiny and I’m not quite sure if I was Andi that I would keep her around. Someone who doesn’t believe you and is jealous of almost everything you do isn’t a friend or at least a good one.

I really liked the desert setting in Phoenix. I could picture everything realistically because I had been there before. The scene with the scorpions being dumped on Andi’s head truly gave me the heebie-jeebies. There were a few things that could be explained better or at least more succinctly and some dots that could be connected but overall Angel Unraveled was a fun urban fantasy romp. I will be reading book two Angel Unprepared which is out now.

Favorite Quote: “Unfortunately for him, every time his fingers brushed the cross, they lit on fire like a bunch of birthday candles.”

 ★ ★ ★ ★ 
If you are a fan of urban fantasy you will love Andi and company!

FTC Advisory: I was given a copy of this book from the author for an honest review. No backroom deals or whispered promises were made.

Where to Buy:

Stalk the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...