Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Fated

Fated 
The Soul Seekers #1
By Alyson Noël
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Formats Available: Hardcover, eBook ~352 pages


Synopsis: 
Lately strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, and glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire is having a nervous breakdown, her mother packs her off to stay in the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico with a grandmother she’s never met.
There she crosses paths with Dace, a gorgeous guy with unearthly blue eyes who she’s encountered before...but only in her dreams. And she’ll get to know her grandmother—a woman who recognizes Daire’s bizarre episodes for what they are. A call to her true destiny as a Soul Seeker, one who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead. Her grandmother immediately begins teaching her to harness her powers—but it’s an art that must be mastered quickly. Because Dace’s brother is an evil shape-shifter who’s out to steal her powers. Now Daire must embrace her fate as a Soul Seeker and find out if Dace is one guy she’s meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she’s destined to destroy. -from Goodreads

Cover: The cover grabbed my attention from the first time I saw it. It fits perfectly with the story; the wind whipping through her hair, the ravens flocking around her and the Dream Catcher earing all highlight important scenes within.

My Thoughts:
I could not wait for this new series from Alyson Noël, the author of the Immortals series. I loved Ever and had high hopes for the Soul Seekers first installment. I have to say that it was really good, but not what I expected. Evermore drew me in from the first moment, but Fated was more up and down. There was so much description in this book that it sometimes felt bogged down by information. It is the first book and is setting up the story, but for me the story just didn’t flow.
Meet Daire, the daughter a Hollywood makeup artist on site in Morocco. On her sixteenth birthday, Daire has what everyone thinks is a mental breakdown, but it is much worse than that. She sees things; Souls, to be exact and they want something from her, but she has no idea what. After multiple doctor visits and talk of institutionalization, Daire is sent to live with her paternal grandmother whom she has never met. Choosing between hospitals, pills, and a padded white room, New Mexico is the lesser of the two evils.
Daire is from a long line of Soul Seekers. She has powers and abilities that she must learn to embrace and control or she might end up like her father - dead. With the help of her grandmother, her spirit animal, and her ancestors Daire learns her way through the mystical world. Not only does she have a new path in life, but she is shown a boy in her dreams, one that she is inexplicably drawn to and if her dreams were any indication, a boy that she must save. Alyson’s books wouldn’t be complete without sexy boys. We meet Dace and Cade; twins, but completely opposite; Good versus Evil, Light versus Dark. Dace is a good, kind, and gentle young man and Daire knows that he is somehow linked to her. His brother Cade is evil incarnate and both his and Daire’s families have been fighting for centuries.
Daire was a hard character to find relatable or even like. She complained so much that I found myself skimming until she stopped the ‘woe is me’ monologue. The character I found the most interesting was Xochitil, a blind girl who can see auras and energies. The Native American mythology is one that is not utilized frequently in YA fiction. I really liked the exploration of the traditions and the overall feeling it gives the story. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys reading about magic, Native American lore, and romance. 

Favorite Quote: "You gotta adjust to the dark so the light can find you."
★ ★ ★ ★
Fans of Alyson's Immortals series should definitely give Fated chance.

Where to Buy:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
iTunes

Stalk the Author:
Official Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads


Trailer: 



3 comments:

  1. I couldn't decide at first whether to bother reading this book after getting fed up with the Immortals series but I think I might now!
    Amy
    http://teenyreader.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I know a lot of people that didn't like the Immortals, but I loved it. Fated is a little different, but good. I am now following your blog. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I can not wait to read this book. I believe I will really enjoy it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...